The TN Visa is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who will perform professional assignments in the United States.  With a few exceptions, the individual must be a professional and coming to the United States to engage in an activity professional in nature.  The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Treaty specifies a list of occupations including degree and/or licensure requirements.

A TN may be valid for up to three years and may be extended either by filing with USCIS or at a port of entry.  Canadians may apply for the TN Visa at U.S. consulates or at a port of entry.  Mexican citizens should apply for the visa at U.S. consulates.