The P classification is generally available to athletes and entertainment groups.  The P-1 visa allows foreign nationals who have earned international recognition to visit the United States temporarily to compete in an athletic event, either individually or as part of a team.  The P-1 is also available for entertainment groups who will perform in the United States.

The P-2 Visa is available to individuals coming to the United States to perform as an artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group, who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country.

The P-3 classification applies to individuals coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform, teach or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique.

The P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa is also available for essential support personnel accompanying the P-visa principal to assist with athletic events or entertainment performances.

Spouses and dependent children are eligible for P-4  visa status.

The P-1 petition for an athlete may be approved for up to five years with one extension of up to five years.  In total a lifetime maximum of 10 years is available to the P-1 athlete.

P-1’s on behalf of entertainment groups or athletic teams, as well as the P-2 and P-3 petitions including those of support personnel may be approved for the time period necessary to complete the event or for one year, whichever is less.  Extensions may be granted for longer-term events or performances